Moving Snowflakes

December 17, 2012

I finally got the call back from the clinic that holds my two remaining frosties. I had wanted to find out how exactly they would be transported across the country IF I decide to transport them.

They would be Fed.Ex’d, overnight, in ~30lb box of full of styrofoam and whatever other cusioning they can think of surrounding a liquid nitrogen filled coffee/soup like cannister. These cannisters hold enough liquid nitrogen to stay frozen for seven days.

Assuming they are not faulty and don’t break or leak. Apparently, if it gets damaged somehow, they will warm up rather quickly. And be lost.

I would have to assume responsibility for them myself. No suing the clinic if the cannister breaks/leaks. It doesn’t happen often. But it can happen. I cold get hit by a bus tomorrow also. Both are unlikely. I think.

If I wanted to move them to OldREs new clinic down the road from their current home I could just come pick them up and transport them myself. Except that I don’t live there, but that’s not the point. If I do the FET with OldRE, then I will be in town.

Now that I think about it, I could probably hand carry them on a plane also. I didn’t ask about that. But there are a lot of reasons I’m not overly comfortable doing that (flight delays, clinic/lab hours on two coasts). Which is more terrifying? Trusting the Fed Ex guy to deliver them safely or trusting MYSELF to do it?

So… three clinics.

Although I spoke with the lab doc today about potentially going back to my old clinic, I think I can strike that option off the list. I don’t know most of the doctors there. I think the guy who did my retrieval is still there. And since the exodus of OldRE and colleague they’ve pulled someone out of retirement to help out.* And the fellow who visited me everyday in the hospital is now the Senior Fellow. And I’m sure their lab is fine. But we did lose on frosty in that particular lab trying to grow it to 5d. So… I think all signs point to no. I will move the frosties. Somewhere.

*Interestingly, NewRE2 was offered that job as well but turned them down.

So…to ship? Or not to ship? That is the question.

All in all, this is more or less what I expected to hear. But the image of your average Fed Ex guy being responsible for delicate snowflakes is now etched in my brain.

Perhaps Santa could just bring them to me.


4 Responses to “Moving Snowflakes”

  1. jodi Says:

    I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but on the off chance you haven’t… what about trying ivf again then based on that outcome you can decide what’s best for the snowflakes? Just a thought.

    • jodi Says:

      Actually I forgot you had a cycle converted to ivf after planned iui I think. Anyways, maybe mini-ivf?

    • Furrowed Fox Says:

      If we did another IVF it would be with a surrogate. We’re only using my body because we have frosties. It’s risky all around.

      • jodi Says:

        I guess my thought process would be that a round of ivf would give you another chance. You know the frosties are top notch, but they are also far away. You could do ivf with newRE and worst case use frosties for surrogate if it came to that. Anyways, would be less like putting all eggs in one basket I suppose;) Good luck whichever you decide.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: